Welcome to Coaching Chat, an ALTIS vodcast series where Education Director – Ellie Kormis – chats with coaches, coach educators, and teachers who coach – from High School coaches, to Pro coaches, to new coaches, to the seasoned warhorses of our profession.
Episode 3 sees us joined by Coach Sue Humphrey – a High Jump Coach from the USA, who boasts a tremendous coaching biography, and offers a wealth of experience to share from for the benefit of others. A brief highlight list of her achievements include:
- USA Head Women’s Olympic Coach in 2004
- Member of the 1992 and 1996 Olympic staffs
- Headed up Team USA’s delegation at the 1985 IAAF World Cup and the 1987 Pan American Games
- Coached 1996 Olympic high jump Gold Medalist Charles Austin
- Coached three of the seven American women to have cleared 6 feet, 6 inches or higher in the high jump – Coleen Sommer, Yolanda Henry and Angie Bradburn
- The only female coach to ever win the Nike Coach of the Year Award
- The only female coach to have NCAA champions in the HJ, LJ, and TJ
- Women’s Assistant Coach at the University of Texas from 1984-89
- Assistant Coach at Arizona State, Cal State-Long Beach and the University of Texas men’s team
Specific discussion points:
In this 23-minute chat Sue discusses:
- Her greatest coaching successes so far
- The biggest challenges of her career – what were they, how did she overcome them and what did she learn?
- The reality of being a team leader at a major championships
- General climate in T&F for female coaches past and present – is this any different to male coaches?
- Advice to early career coaches looking to forge a career in T&F and / or elite sport
If you want to connect with Sue and chat further, check out her social media accounts: