Coach Internship Program
The primary goal of our Education Initiative is to train the next generation of high-performance track & field coaches, and to advance the discipline of Professional Coaching by providing an environment in which the developing coach can learn the practicalities of professional coaching.
It is the belief of all of us here at ALTIS that you become a high-performance coach by immersing yourself in a high-performance culture and working alongside elite coaches and athletes on a daily basis.
The program will involve a combination of lecture sessions, problem-based learning and practical skills development on the track and in the weight room.
The ALTIS Internship Program will provide the student with scientific and practical education in all areas related to high-performance coaching, including:
- Methodology and systems
- Program design
- Periodization and planning
- Strength and power
- Basics of performance nutrition
- Acceleration development
- Performance Therapy
- Event-specific mechanics
It is the primary coach-development philosophy of ALTIS that learning should be active, self-directed, and interactive. For this reason, much of your time at ALTIS will be independent study. Just as we have shown in our successful Apprentice Coach Program, when the developing coach takes it upon him or herself to direct his or her own education, the learning experience is far more in-depth.
4 Reasons to apply
- Gain work experience – Most young coaches all have their educational experience in common. What stands out to employers are those students who ALSO have work experiences. The internship automatically makes you more marketable to potential employers – especially when the internship experience is with such a high-level of mentor coaches.
- Network with professionals in your field – There is not a more experienced, more successful group of coaches working in the same Center anywhere in the world. Take advantage of this unique opportunity to learn from this accomplished group. It is true that it is about who you know. The hands-on real-world experiences that you encounter during your ALTIS Internship will enable you to develop your potential and make key contacts for future networking.
- Develop new skills and refine others – Learn your strengths and weaknesses by creating learning objectives and receiving feedback from your Mentor Coach. This is a unique learning opportunity that you may never have again as a working adult.
- Gain confidence in your abilities – The opportunity to work alongside not only an elite coaching group, but also with elite professional athletes will give you the confidence to apply your teachings once the Internship is finished. If the practice is good enough for this group, chances are it will be good enough for any other group in the world.
The Altis internship is scheduled according to the training and competitions of the athletes in Phoenix. Interns are expected to be available Monday-Saturday 8:00AM-3:30PM. The 2017/18 term dates are as follows:
- Term 1: September 25th – December 23rd (Application deadline: July 16th 2017)
- Term 2: January 8th – April 7th (Application deadline: October 1st 2017)
- Term 3: April 9th – June 30th (Application deadline: January 14th 2018)
Positions are available in the areas of:
- Sprints/Hurdles (2 positions)
- Jumps/Combined Events (2 positions)
- Distance (1 position)
- Strength and Conditioning (2 positions)
- Sports Medicine/Manual Therapy (1 position)
Qualifications and Requirements
- Relevant experience in the field
- Ability to demonstrate understanding of subject matter
- Interested in learning new models and techniques
- Committed to the betterment of the organization
- Present yourself in a manner that is conducive to the growth of ALTIS athletes
Application Process and Requirements
If interested, please contact email@example.com (Mike Boykin – Program Manager) with a cover letter, resume, references, term, and area of interest.